Friday, April 25, 2014

It's History


             I was not born into veganism. Pretty much the opposite, actually. I came from a family who hunted, ate meat, and wore leather. At the age of eight years old, I was the youngest person in my county to ever obtain their hunting license.  Thank God I never actually shot an animal. Despite that, I still ate the animals that my Dad and Grandpa had killed during our hunting trips. In fact, my family ate meat at basically every meal. Holidays and celebrations centered around feasts consisting of animal flesh.  
                Eating animals was just the beginning. I also wore them for fashion on a regular basis. From shoes and belts, to handbags, I was guilty. Especially handbags. Up until recently, I absolutely loved Michael Kors’ handbags. In my last post, I mentioned that I did not see the point of getting rid of my leather items that had previously been purchased, because the damage to the animal had already been done at that point. My plan was to focus on my future purchases and make sure they did not contribute to the cruelty and exploitation of animals going forward. Well it’s been about 2 months since I’ve used my once-beloved Michael Kors handbag. Why? I started to feel uncomfortable about carrying it, even though I bought it a year prior to making the decision to go completely cruelty-free. I think it’s part of the whole mind shift of adopting a vegan life. I see everything differently now. I no longer enjoyed using it and it actually made me feel incredibly ashamed. I couldn’t advocate veganism while outwardly showcasing the opposite.
          Looking back, it’s weird to think that I used to do these things. I think my past experiences are a good thing, though, because it helps me relate to those who are still in that place. I find it easier to discuss transitioning to a vegan lifestyle with others because I have had to go through the process myself. I know what it’s like.  I cannot judge them because I once was them.
          So, what was the experience that showed me the way to a cruelty-free life? The experience that kick-started my passion for activism? The experience that completely changed the way I think about EVERYTHING?  Stay tuned for the next blog post!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment